Suzhou, Jiangsu, China Travel Guide
Author: Donaldytong (Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Unported)
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Places of Interest in Suzhou
Classical Gardens of Suzhou
- Humble Administrator's Garden (Zhuo Zheng Yuan)
The biggest and finest classical Chinese garden in Suzhou.
- Garden of the Master of Nets (Wang Shi Yuan)
The smallest but said to be the most beautiful and well-proportioned classical Chinese garden in Suzhou.
- Lingering Garden (Liu Yuan)
One of the biggest and important classical Chinese garden in Suzhou.
- West Garden (Xi Yuan)
A Buddhist temple in a garden setting.
- Lion Forest Garden (Shi Zi Lin)
One of the four great classical Chinese gardens of Suzhou.
- Garden of Cultivation (Yi Pu Garden)
Another beautiful garden in Suzhou.
- Mountain Villa with Embracing Beauty (Huanxiu Shanzhuang)
One of the beautiful rock-and-water gardens in Suzhou.
- Surging Wave Pavilion Garden (Canglang Ting)
One of the oldest of Suzhou's private gardens.
- Couple's Garden Retreat (Ou Yuan)
Garden with rockeries, pool and open pavilion.
- Retreat and Reflection Garden (Tui Si Yuan)
A garden located in the town of Tongli, 30 km from Suzhou.
- Tarrying Garden (Wufeng Xianguan)
Garden outside Changmen Gate.
- Garden of Pleasure (Yi Yuan)
Very small garden in the heart of downtown Suzhou.
- Former Residence of Yu Yue
The unpretentious abode of poet scholar Yu Yue.
- Pan Men Scenic Area
An area in Suzhou with many historical sights.
- Huqiu Shan (Tiger Hill)
Hill on the northwest of Suzhou, burial place of Helu, the King of Wu, founder of Suzhou.
Temples in Suzhou
- Beisi Ta (North Pagoda)
A towering 76-meter pagoda which is one of the big tourist attractions of Suzhou.
- Confucius Temple
Temple established in the Song Dynasty.
- Hanshan Si (Cold Mountain Temple)
Temple close to the Grand Canal.
- Huqiu Tower
One of the few remaining pagodas of its type, first built in the Song Dynasty.
- Shuang Ta (Twin Pagoda)
A pair of 30-meter-tall pagodas from the early Song era.
- Temple of Mystery (Xuanmiao Guan)
Temple founded in the Jin Dynasty with the largest ancient Taoist hall in China.
Museums in Suzhou
- Suzhou Silk Museum
Museum that chronicles the history of silk production.
- Suzhou Museum
Museum housed in a villa adjoining the Humble Administrator's Garden.
- Museum of Opera & Theater
Museum dedicated to displaying the musical instruments, manuscripts and costumes related to the performing arts.
- Silk Embroidery Research Institute
Institute dedicated to the development of silk embroidery work.
Nearby Interesting Towns
25 km (16 miles) to the southeast of Suzhou, with houses open out to a network of canals.
20 km (12 miles) to the west of Shanghai, reachable from Suzhou, with charming Old Town.
40 km (25 miles) northwest of Suzhou, with scenic Tai Hu (Lake Tai).
- Tai Hu
5 km (3 miles) southwest of Wuxi, one of the largest lakes in China.