About Tua Pek Kong Temple
Tua Pek Kong Temple, or temple of the god of prosperity, is one of the major Chinese temples in Kuching. Officially known as the Siew San Teng, it claims the title of being the oldest building in Kuching. The shrine dates to 1876, but written documents mentions it as early as 1846. The earliest known renovation carried out on the temple - at that time nothing more than a small shrine on a hillock - was in 1856. The structure was made more permanent with roof tiles replacing thatch and some brickwork in 1863. The land title for the temple was issued by Rajah Charles Brooke on 29 August 1871.
Until the Japanese Occupation, the management of the temple revolved between two Chinese community leaders, through the casting of lots. The leader chosen was responsible for taking care of the temple ceremonies and rites of the given year. After the end of World War II, management of the temple fell under the control of the five Chinese clan associations, each representing a Chinese dialect group. In 1951, management was transferred to the Kuching Chinese Community Charitable Trust Board, and it remains with the board till this day.
The Tua Pek Kong Temple commands a prominent position near the Kuching Waterfront, and close to the Chinese History Museum.
Tua Pek Kong Temple Location Map
View Tua Pek Kong Temple, Kuching in a larger map
Tua Pek Kong Temple, Kuching (2 October 2004)
© Timothy Tye using this photo